Sunday, January 9, 2011

Using My Herbal First Aid kit

I always knew that how I transported my herbal aid supplies was not ideal. I used to just throw this and that in a basket if I were heading out in the woods or to the park with the kids. Looking back it is probably a good thing we never had anything besides a very minor scrape or bump to deal with as my haphazard basket, probably wouldn’t have met our needs very well. I am still gathering/making things for the herbal medicine kit, and am amazed how many times it has already been useful. Just yesterday we had a splinter under a fingernail, an issue needing dandelion tincture and a minor burn, in my little village!
GEDC0985
When you click on the picture to enlarge it, you will see the tools and herbal helpers I used. I love the little blue flashlight. It is a very powerful light that is just the right size and is useful for these older eyes when I am examining something up close, like the splinter. The lovely old magnifying glass has been passed down on my mother side of the family. I love its design, connection to my ancestors and the nice long cord to drape around my neck so I don’t drop it or loose it. Another useful tool for the older eyes ;-)  The chamomile tea was used to calm down Lily, the victim of the splinter:) Then the pine salve was put on the area were the splinter was under her nail, to help draw it out, with a bandage on top.
I will continue adding some things to the herbal first aid kit and replacing things as they are used.  Some of the items are inspired by the list in the lesson, but I am making it my own and adding a few things that I find useful:)
And my last ethno botanical book from my wish list came in! In love:)
GEDC0986
My last news, but not least, is I have a new grandpuppy! lol This is Dylan, my soon to be 3 year old grandson, with new puppy Zoey:)
GEDC0982

6 comments:

Comfrey Cottages said...

testing to see if this comment appears. had problems earlier

janet said...

Love the first aid kit, I really need to put one of those together, thanks for the reminder.
Your grandson and his puppy are both adorable!!

Anke said...

Great first aid kit! Makes me realize how unorganized our first aid supplies are... Your grandson and the grandpuppy are adorable!

Comfrey Cottages said...

thanks janet and anke:)dylan is the love of my light and i have the priviledge of tending him why his folks work:)
i never realized just how convenient one was! lol
thanks for stopping by xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Lovely Leslie,
Your first aid kit looks brilliant, having a flashlight and magnifying glass in there is a great idea, I will definitely be getting some for mine, very helpful for splinters I imagine!
The puppy is beautiful! Give him a stroke from me xxx

Anonymous said...

Ooo and let me know what you think of 'Healing Threads'. It's been on my wishlist for a while but I wasn't sure how much herbal info there was in it.
xx