Friday, June 12, 2009

Indoor compost bin

i am rather new to composting. still always ready to learn more. i got my hubby to start putting our leaves, etc in a certain place at the back fence, but i want to get some sort of chicken wire bin made around it. i noticed last year that there really wasn't much going on with this assorted yard waste, and read about comfrey being used to accelerate composting. i ordered some plants and seeds and this year, i have started adding their older leaves to the pile, and raking them in and trying to turn this pile. must get a bit more arranged on it and then will post pics for you. but i have always wanted to know how to indoor compost also. i mean, kind of a pain to walk to the back fence for every eggshell, you know what i mean? so i saw this cool article at simple, green, frugal coop blog and i wanted to share it with you all in the hopes, some of you will find it useful also! thank you eileen for posting such a very good article. the video is wonderful! hugs to all who visit comfrey cottages!:)

7 comments:

Steph said...

We are big composters around here, and it's actually very rewarding to see it start as scraps and, with time, come out as gorgeous moist dirt! Congrats to you! I have a little kitchen composter (stainless steel bin with a filter) where I stash the stuff until I can get it outside.

Also, be sure to water your compost - it needs moisture. :-)

Hugs to you!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Now if you add worms! The kids would love it! I'm not sure about the hubby! LOL! A big hug that summer heat comes soon! My herb plants are shivering!

Comfrey Cottages said...

thanks for the tip on watering steph! i think that was part of my problem to, not turning it often and letting water get all the way through. :) hey, maybe to the worms nancy! my hubby is just a big kid and loves worms too! lol so who knows:) will keep you posted though. thanks to you both for sharing! not too warm karen, just a bit!:)

Lisa said...

New background? I really like it!

I recycle, but have been bad about getting into composting - other than yard waste. In my kitchen I am just too lazy. I hit my in-sink-er-a-tor. While my kitchen was being remodeled last winter, I did put food wastes outside, but I think we have too much wildlife for that. I need to research wildlife resistant bins/composter if I really want to get into the act.

Good for you though! It's nice to be able to give back to Mother Earth! :)

p.s. I'm heading to see UP tonight! Can't wait!

Comfrey Cottages said...

oh you are going to love the movie up hootie! good for you! yea, if i lived in a place that my table scraps might attract too many critters, i would research it more too. the most we usually would attract would be squirrels, raccoon, and possum, maybe a skunk. not too cool with the beehives nearby so i guess i should find out about critter proofing the area too. i think if we do it right we aren't suppose to have any smell to it to attract critters. hmmmm. let me know what you find out and i will research it too. thanks for bringing that up hootie! hugs :)

Anonymous said...

hi! I am off to check out your link about indoor compost. We have had to stop composting outside because it attracts the neighborhood bears! One morning at breakfast I glanced out the window to see 3 bears in the yard!!! I think it will be indoor composting for me!

Bina Simon said...

Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work.
skip bin hire
skip bins brisbane prices